Can you really walk your way to fitness? Absolutely! Get started today.
Know the benefits. Physical activity doesn’t need to be complicated. Something as simple as a daily brisk walk can help you live a healthier life.
For example, regular brisk walking can help you:
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Strengthen your bones and muscles
- Improve your mood
- Improve your balance and coordination
- Prevent or manage various conditions, including heart disease, high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes The faster, farther and more frequently you walk, the greater the benefits.
Proper walking technique – Turning your normal walk into a fitness stride requires good posture and purposeful movements. Ideally, here’s how you’ll look when you’re walking:
- Your head is up. You’re looking forward, not at the ground.
- Your neck, shoulders and back are relaxed, not stiffly upright.
- You’re swinging your arms freely with a slight bend in your elbows. A little pumping with your arms is OK.
- Your stomach muscles are slightly tightened and your back is straight, not arched forward or backward.
- You’re walking smoothly, rolling your foot from heel to toe.